Linux Engineer with a wide knowledge of HTTP and web services. Advocate of automation, containerization and version control; aiming to produce highly reproducible and scalable infrastructure.
Knowledge over a variety of IaaS platforms, such as AWS and Google Compute Engine, as well as knowledge of building PaaS solutions using Docker and Apache Mesos.
Fan of ChatOps, bringing monitoring and deployment tools into the forefront of a teams workflow. This workflow encourages transparency, with all of the team having visibility over what’s happening across the day. Extensions of this involve writing services and tools that fire off chatroom events, from monitoring right the way through to infrastructure changes and code deployments.
- Linux, Debian 7+ & Ubuntu 12.04
- Python 2.7 & 3.5, including Flask(-RESTful)/aiohttp/unittest/pytest.
- Clojure, including Ring/Compojure and core.async.
- AWS and GCP IaaS plus VMWare vCentre.
- HTTP knowledge, HAProxy/Vulcan/Nginx/Apache experience.
- SQL and NoSQL storage technologies (MySQL/PgSQL/Elasticsearch/Redis)
- SaltStack and Ansible CM with Git VC knowledge.
- Monitoring including statsd/collectd combined with Riemann/Datadog.
- Containers (Docker/Rocket) and container orchestration, specifically Mesos/Marathon.
- CI and CD skills, Drone/Jenkins.
- Lead systems administrator on a full platform upgrade for independent.co.uk & standard.co.uk, migration from Escenic 5.3 to 5.6, moved the platform to a fully redundant and resilient design.
- Implemented configuration management (SaltStack) across all environments, this massively reduced turnaround times for environment builds. In some cases provisioning times went down from a day to a matter of minutes. Furthermore this removed countless small issues that arose due to simple misconfiguration and human error.
- Supplied industry leading customer service as a team of 4 at Catalyst2, winning 2 ISPA awards (Business Customer Service and Customer Choice Award 2013).
Infectious Media – January 2015 – Present.
Migration from a static traditional architecture through to a more dynamic cloud orientated design, scaling based upon resource needs. A 30% reduction in total operating cost was achieved through more efficient resource utilization as a result of this change.
Implemented a continuous delivery pipeline to enable quicker iteration with a lower business risk. Drone was used as a CI server and container build host, with a custom orchestration application for canary releasing through Apache Mesos.
First Clarity & Evolok – September 2013 – January 2015.
During my time at First Clarity & Evolok I worked with UK and international publishing houses on a variety of projects, from full stack infrastructure and application upgrades through daily maintenence. Examples of this would be the recent integration of a pay wall for Irish Independent and Belfast Telegraph. Other work includes a Drupal 7 upgrade for chilternrailways.co.uk, management of Global Blue China Cache/Akamai implementation and the maintenance of auth.telegraph.co.uk.
Catalyst2 – September 2012 – September 2013.
This job was taken after moving to London following my graduation from university. My primary duties are the management of customer queries and complaints ensuring we met our SLAs, this was a mixture of both help desk as well as break fix work. Other duties included maintenance of our infrastructure, documentation and hardware development.
LDE Data communications September 2008 – Mid 2011
Data Communications Engineer,
Maintained and developed a large communications network over a variety of mediums to ensure an effective, reliable and dependable service to the customer. Aspects of the job included maintenance of networks from the planning stage through to installation and maintenance of hardware.
Education and Qualifications
Bachelor of Science (BSc Hons), Achieved 2012. 2:2 in Environmental Management from University of Worcester.
A Level, Achieved 2008. C Grade Environmental Science, C Grade Business and Economics, C Grade Critical Thinking
GCSEs, Achieved 2006. 10 A* – C, including A’s in Maths, Science and English.
References, available upon request.